Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Quentin: Have your people call my people

Just like you, I invent celebrity encounters. You know, like what would you say to Channing Tatum if you saw him in an elevator, how you would counsel Lindsay Lohan, etc. One celebrity encounter I have prepared for is to meet Quentin Tarantino in a restaurant. Since I live in Los Angeles and eat at restaurants, I have reason to think this is a possibility.

I was reminded recently of why I wanted to meet Quentin after seeing the very cool Tarantino timeline on www.miramax.com created by fusioncreativela.com. Can you believe it has been 20 years since Reservoir Dogs was released? Believe it, and check out the Tarantino XX 20th Anniversary Box Set.

This pop art graphic trip down Tarantino memory lane brings back disturbing highlights from his movies in a good way. The only thing missing is a soundtrack and that is what fuels my fantasy meeting.

I don't think I can ever forgive Quentin for what he did to the part of my brain that retains the melody for "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel and the images from Reservoir Dogs together. Deep down, I know Quentin and I have similar taste in pop music, although he definitely "sees" things differently than I do. I was grateful to hear "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" from the Delfonics in Jackie Brown and "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield in Pulp Fiction.

So I decided to play into Quentin's dark side with my song suggestion. I first heard it on a British 60s compilation CD. "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart" was a #5 hit in the UK for Gene Pitney, better known in the US for his hits "Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "Town Without Pity." I was hooked on the song from the minute I heard it. There have been several covers and even other recordings by Pitney, but it was the version on this compilation album that caught my attention. There is a haunting quality to the song with an incredible crescendo that would go perfectly well with a Tarantino inspired slaying. Envision Tom Jones' "Delilah," only not so obvious. Check out Pitney's best version on iTunes in "The Brill Building Sound."

My entry on the Tarantino timeline would simply say "2013: Chance meeting with crazy fan inspires  script for "Heart."

I'm too late for Tarantino XX, stay tuned for Tarantino XXV.


No comments:

Post a Comment