Thursday, January 2, 2014

A New View of Los Angeles

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 10.14.00 PM


Like many of you, I have been overwhelmed in the past few weeks with things I should have been doing, writing, accomplishing, checking off my list. I often find myself spinning in circles. I have a dog that does that constantly, I should just leave that to him.

Today I returned to Los Angeles after 12 days in McMinnville, a small town outside of Portland. I enjoyed my time with my Oregon family. For the first time ever, it did not rain while I visited, just a steady cold, foggy gloom. The McMinnvillians loved it. I missed the sun.

I like flying into Burbank on Alaska Airlines from Portland. It's a direct two-hour flight with free beer or wine. If I sit on the right side of the plane, I can spot my backyard as we descend. I love that I've lived in Los Angeles long enough to pick out buildings as I fly overhead. Today was a spectacularly clear day. I could see from the ocean to Century City, my house, downtown and the building I'm working in on the Warner Bros. lot. This panoramic view was awe-inspiring and helped me reset my focus.

Earlier this evening I noticed the moon, shining low in the sky, just the thinnest sliver. I missed the moon the past few nights. In my early LA years when I was in my late 20s I often spent New Year's Eve at my friend John's apartment in Hollywood. At midnight I would look out over his balcony at the moon and palm trees to make a wish for the New Year. It was always the beauty of nature that I focused on. I fell optimistic and hopeful then. Today, I felt the same way.

A friend had this link posted and I want to share it too. (via @Upworthy) http://bit.ly/1gu5omL

ORIGINAL: By Louie Schwartzberg and TEDx.

No comments:

Post a Comment