Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let’s Watch American Idol Together


American Idol Productions recently treated me to a trip to Hollywood (from Van Nuys!) to preview Hollywood Week. While I received travel, accommodations and tickets from American Idol, all opinions are my own. Here’s some of what happened:

By now, you’ve probably seen the photo of me with Harry Connick Jr. that I have been shamelessly posting (see what I mean about my photo skills?) But just in case you missed it ; )


It was a huge moment for the Idol Tweethearts when Harry walked into our American Idol behind-the-scenes tour. He had already opened our eyes when we saw a sneak peek of the Jan 15 Idol premiere. Now he grabbed our hearts as he went around the room and individually greeted us all. He took the time to pose for selfies, answer our questions, pose for a group shot and hand us individually autographed CDs. Babbling ensued. You can’t tell from this shot, but I awkwardly contorted my arm around him and my fellow tweetheart so I could touch his back, part of Pinky on the Pulse, literally.

Harry Connick Jr. epitomizes the Idol slogan #thisisreal. Under those Clark Kent specs lies a family man – an extremely talented, charming, funny, good-looking, not-like-anyone-I-know – family man. His comments come from a place of caring and knowing the real ropes of the music business.

And Idol is all about bringing back a family show this season. There’s no coincidence that most of the Idol Tweethearts are moms. They wanted us to get the message out that you can watch Idol with your family again.

While I’m not a fan of bickering and confrontation, there’s a different reason that I always return to American Idol. I watch in search of the perfect TV moment: when an unknown, yet wildly talented singer nails it, when they make me want to rewind and watch their performance over, sometimes just to listen to a single note.

My top AI moments:
Carrie Underwood sings “Alone” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBSDpB3WB8

Jessica Sanchez sings “I Will Always Love You”

David Cook sings “Hello”

Chills, right?

Idol used to be the show we talked about at work the next day (pre-Facebook.) We would have private polls about who would go home. My friend Stephanie would write the most hilarious “Around the Idol Cooler”recaps that I couldn’t wait to read. I worked at Fox during S8 and would enter the weekly contest in the Fox Studio Store to guess who would be going home. I had a four-week winning streak until I was wrong about Anoop.

I’ve been a fan since the days when I had to strategically set my VCR because I could only watch one show and record another. For Idol I would watch and record. I would fall asleep hitting redial to vote for my favs. 

Now we have limitless choices of how many shows we can watch, when we want to watch them. I was fortunate enough to work at NBC during their “Must-See-TV” Thursday night domination. Now “must see” TV has a different meaning as less viewers actually watch shows on their TV as they initially air. Some shows are bringing the concept of “must-see” back though. Ironically, you have to completely unplug from any other devices if you haven’t seen a show and want to avoid social spoiler alerts.

Let’s try a new trend and “Experience TV.” Join me on Twitter @pinkypulse and #idoltweethearts to watch American Idol together. Note to East Coast friends: Don’t tell me who goes home!


#AmericanIdol #IdolTweethearts #HarryConnickJr #Must-SeeTV 

No comments:

Post a Comment